Verse of the Day

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

How Do You Cope with Politics?

A fellow blogger, blogged on a topic that I wish I did - mainly because it captures a bit of how I feel. The question of his blog was around maintaining mental stability during an election year then asked the question, "how do you cope". I wanted to post my comment on his article here. Why? well I don't hear people talking about this view point from a founding father of this Nation.

… in George Washington’s Farewell Address he warned against the party system:

Washington against the party system: Link 1 - Link 2 (Links to full farewell address.)

It serves always to distract the public councils and enfeeble the public administration. It agitates the community with illfounded jealousies and false alarms; kindles the animosity of one part against another; foments occasionally riot and insurrection. It opens the door to foreign influence and corruption, which find a facilitated access to the government itself through the channels of party passion. Thus the policy and the will of one country are subjected to the policy and will of another.

So, very simply one can look at history, the current state, and see that he was right. A bit off topic for this blog but, that is the reason I haven't nor plan on signing up to support a party.

Answering the question of How do you cope? ... I pray.

No comments: