Verse of the Day

Tuesday, September 17, 2019

The danger in asking, "What does this verse mean to you?"

The following quote isn't mine. I saw it from Twitter, but I still wanted to share. Mainly because I'm concerned when I read in recent Bible study guides/resources a question that asks, "What does this verse mean to you?" So here's the quote:



The danger in this type of question is that verses could mean anything we wanted them to mean. With no absolutes, then we start to abandon the truth of God’s word.


  • Better questions to ask:
    • What, in context to God's Word, does this verse tell me? 
    • What does it tell me about God? 
    • What does it tell me that God is doing? 
    • How is God telling to live my life and make daily choices?

Here it is, how do I subject myself to what God is telling me? Not the other way around.

Let our devotion to God be in subjection to His Word.

No comments: